March 11, 2005

Wake Me When it's April

So, it’s March. I don’t really care for March. January is a break after the holidays, February is short and tends to pass without much notice, but March is unpleasant. Also, March holds an assortment of bad memories that will ever prevent it from being a favored month. (And while I realize this is blog of sorts, you’ll just have to forgive me for not elaborating on the more tragic moments of my personal history for your reading enjoyment.)

In summation, March depresses me, and I tend to get nothing done during this month. So don’t expect much in the way of updates. Also, I need a vacation so goddamn bad I can taste it, which means I’m not in the best of moods anyway.

But aside from all of that…

The digital camera finally has a new battery, but now the flash has decided to call it quits. The flash on this thing has always been somewhat temperamental, but it’s finally given us the electronic finger and refuses to do anything anymore. Anyone out there married to a techie knows what this means -- after a period of man-to-machine chest-thumping, we are now in the market for a new camera. Mind you, this camera is still perfectly good in situations where a flash is not required. But its dysfunctional flash has so offended the resident uber-geek that it’s about to find its little electronic self written up and sold off on eBay, with the resulting funds going toward the purchase of a new camera.

(Note from camera: How do they expect to get my picture up there in the listing, hmmm?)

I almost signed up to be in an art show this month. A real, live art show…not just an online show. However, I decided that I didn’t have enough time to get things together, so I ended up passing on the opportunity. And boy, am I glad I did.

Without naming any names, I was not impressed with how the organizers put this thing together. Very little publicity – none that I saw outside of a non-informational announcement on one website – and not much communication, even to potentially-involved parties.

I’m starting to wonder if this is a trend with art organizations here in the Denver area. I’m still peeved with the Colorado Art Expo people over their 2004 show. Mr. Sweetie and I trekked downtown to the convention center in December of 2003 to check out the first annual Colorado Art Expo. There didn’t seem to be much money changing hands, but the turnout looked to be reasonable, the advertising had been the same, and all in all it looked like something I’d like to sign up for. So as soon as 2004 showed its shining face, I started sending e-mail and phoning to get information about signing up for the 2004 show. There was never one reply to either my e-mails or my voice mails. Not one. Yeah, sure, I could have wandered downtown to their offices and pounded on the door until someone answered my questions, but by the time I figured out that there was no information resulting from my requests, I was irritated enough to just write them off.

In other editions of this post, here beginneth a discussion of the relative percentages of effort required by each party in a relationship. However, in this edition…I’m signing off and going to have lunch with my cute n’cuddly husband.