May 30, 2009

Abandon Ship!

The Amazing Husbandini is sleeping in this morning. He was up doing God-knows-what until 4:00 a.m., only to be awakened at about 5:30 a.m. by a certain furry someone coughing up a big, juicy hairball in the middle of the bed. After the sheets were changed, I decided to just let him sleep for as long as he wanted.

However...he's gotta get up soon, because things are about to get ugly.

Our next door neighbors' daughter just graduated from high school. While we aren't close to any of our neighbors, these are the ones we really don't care for. (Of course, they're better than the neanderthal family with the ever-barking dogs, but that group is a whole other story.) I don't have anything specific to lay out for you, but they are just "those" neighbors ... the ones that you just don't like and have never liked, but you can't really put your finger on exactly why. The few interactions we've had with them have been cordial enough, but they just rub us the wrong way. Maybe they feel the same way about us, I don't know.

Anyway, sometime overnight three big ol' tents sprang up in their backyard, along with a bunch of tables bedecked with graduation-themed decorations. I don't want to be here when this shindig gets started. I know that at least one set of grandparents is in town, so maybe this will be a family party, rather than a backyard full of the grad's 18-year old buddies. Whatever ... we're clearing out.

I don't quite "get" graduation parties anyway. A card, a gift, a nice dinner out with the family - sure. Of course, when I graduated from high school, the only people in attendance were Mom, Dad and Pop-Pop. My mother kindly passed on a message from one relative who had said they wouldn't be attending because "when you've seen one graduation, you've seen them all." (Incidentally, Mom? That's the kind of message that doesn't need to be forwarded.) But, I also realize that there are families in which having a kid graduate from high school isn't taken for granted, like it was in mine. In which case, I guess I can understand the need to make a bigger deal out of it. **

As you can probably guess, I'm still in my grumpy, low blood sugar mood. So I will just absent myself from the premises today and assume that the folks next door really do feel that this big backyard party is necessary. As long as our driveway doesn't get blocked, I'll be fine.

(I'm turning into the neighborhood grouch, aren't I? Next thing you know, I'll be sitting on my front steps, yelling at kids to keep it down when they walk by the house.)

** Wow, that was an exceptionally bitchy comment, wasn't it? I honestly did not mean it that way. But you know what? I think I'm going to leave it the way it's written. Heh.

No comments: